Friday, March 18, 2011

The Invisible Father Syndrome

This is an excerpt from my book: The Invisible Father: Reversing the Curse of a Fatherless Generation:


“But if anyone does not provide for his own and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.” 1 Tim 5: 8


Where is my father? Why isn’t he here? Does he love me? These are only a few of the questions that flowed constantly through my mind as a young child. See, I never knew my father; the first time I saw my father was at his funeral. I remember it as if it were yesterday. As the coffin descended into the ground, any possible chance of a long desired relationship with my father vanished before my eyes. I was fourteen then. For the majority of my life I have battled many demons in an attempt to come to grips with the fact that I have never and will never know my father.

After my father’s death, I convinced myself that I was fine. I told myself that I could do just fine without my father, but reality said different. Although I was reared by my great-grandparents and provided with a loving and nurturing environment, I could not shake the heartache of not knowing who my father was or better yet, not having an understanding of why my father chose not to be a part of my life. Although I was immensely precocious as a child, I still lacked the capacity to apprehend the circumstances that surrounded me.

I mentioned the fact that I was reared by my great-grandparent, both of whom have since gone to be with the Lord; my grandfather in 1992 and my grandmother in 2010. As nurturing as my grandparents were, not even they were able to totally eradicate the pain I felt due to my father’s absence.

The one thing I am most grateful to my grandparents for is introducing me to Christ. Through the constant intake of Biblical Doctrine and consistent hands on teaching, I developed a personal relationship with Christ, which is the true foundation of Christianity. The Bible says, “Train up a child in the way it should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Prov. 22:6).  My grandparents lived and functioned daily under this principle.

My personal relationship with Christ has empowered me to move past the pain and difficulty of not knowing my earthly father; it has allowed me to have access to my heavenly Father, which provides me with the strength and stability to victoriously endure the vicissitudes of life.


2.

Having said all this, I would like elucidate the fact that this book is not an autobiography on the life of Bishop Rick Wallace. I am giving you some background information to add lucidity to the perspective from which I write.
                                                           

Unfortunately, my situation is by no means an anomaly in today’s society. The past few decades has witnessed an exponential increase of fatherless homes. As men, we have found it acceptable to procreate and then abandon our progeny. The once inherent sense of pride and responsibility fathers had in and for their offspring have been replaced by an enormous and perpetual state of irresponsibility. Far too frequently mothers have been forced to assume the responsibility of taking on dual roles in the home.


I decided to write a book from a biblical perspective that addresses the issue of absentee fatherhood. I am looking for those that would like to discuss the topic, be a part of the movement to bring Christian fatherhood back to the forefront. Those who have suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment