Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Daddy I wanna be a Man


Daddy I wanna be a man
But I need someone to teach me how to take a stand
I can’t turn to you because you sell drugs
I can’t lean on you because you’d rather be a thug


Daddy I wanna be a man
I wanna be there for my wife and kids
Not jet like a coward as you did
I wanna be more than a rolling stone
I wanna be the undisputed head of my home
I wanna be there for every spelling bee and football game
I wanna be more to my kids than the source of their last name
When I think of you and all the pain I’ve endured
Because you thought you wanted to be a father, but then became unsure
It motivates me to seek the higher road
To be there as a father ; to help bear the load


Daddy I wanna be a man
A man in every sense of the word
 Because anything less is truly absurd
Something more than a sperm donor I desire to be
Something more than you’ve ever been to me
Someone my kids can come to when they need affection
Someone that will hold them when they need protection
Someone through whom they can see Christ’s reflection


Daddy I wanna be a man
To say that your absence hurt is an inadequate description
Buy being a better dad than you is the healing prescription
By the way, where were you all those years?
Why weren’t you there to wipe away the tears?
Why were you not at even one game?
That name on the back of my Jersey should have been your last name
You will probably say you were busy and couldn’t make it
That’s a lame excuse Pops, so don’t even waste it
Say what? You were in jail and it wasn’t your fault
I say, you wouldn’t have been there if you had been doing as you ought
Let me save you the trouble of even responding
Don’t worry, I’m doing fine, my grandfather and me, we bonded


Daddy I wanna be a man
I wanna give my kids what I didn’t have
Someone to tickle me and make me laugh
Someone to scold me when I did wrong
Someone to be an example of how to lead in the home
I don’t know what happened to make you leave
But it’s motivated me to be there for my kids as long as I breathe
I wanna be the one to follow God’s divine plan
That’s right daddy, I wanna be a man


Dr. Rick Wallace 

1 comment: