Sunday, December 29, 2013

Redefining True Biblical Manhood


As a man who has functioned in the role of a “spiritual leader” for some time now, I have become keenly aware of the fallibility associated with humanity and specifically my own. This may seem somewhat strange coming from a man that claims to speak on behalf of Christ. Well the truth is that if every leader would first be honest with themselves, and subsequently be honest with those whom they are directly and indirectly responsible for, a more vivid and veracious portrait of the Christian landscape would be available to all.

I have always said that I don’t preach from a platform of perfection, but from the depths of a transformed heart. When I look at the current state of manhood in America, I see very little in the way of true biblical manhood. We – as men – have strayed so far off course that our walks remotely – if at all – resemble that of a true kingdom man. The past several years have been some of the most challenging I have faced in my life, but they have left me with an implacable yearning to walk in the will and plan of God.

Make no mistake about it, this ethereal journey I have undertaken has not been without its failures on my behalf – several of them of the monumental variety. The past year has served to introduce me to my humanity in some rather unique ways. In 2 Corinthians chapter 12, the Apostle Paul speaks of a thorn in the flesh. He does not identify the actual nature of the thorn. Many have postulated that is was poor eyesight, while others believe it was more of a spiritual nature. The actual nature of the thorn is obviously irrelevant – being that it is not revealed. What is relevant is the reason behind the thorn. Paul said that the thorn was given to him as a protective measure. Who was the thorn protecting Paul from? A close examination of the text reveals that it was protecting Paul from himself. Paul said that it was given so that he would not exalt himself above measure – become bigheaded.

When God has given you a vision and you begin to walk effectively in that vision, it can be easy to become engrossed in what you have accomplished and lose sight of the One who is enabling your accomplishments. God provides the equalizer so that you don’t become arrogant. With that being said, I am currently dealing with the revelation of my own fallibility. Anyone that knows me understands that I don’t advocate using our humanity as an excuse for failure. Will we fail at times? Absolutely, but that does not mean that we should be content with our failure. We must definitely become acquainted with and aware of our failures, but not for the purpose of developing a quilt complex or to become despondent. Our failure reminds us of our humanity and the need to always have God first. It also reminds us that we need to be compassionate and understanding towards those we oversee.

My thorn has not caused me to succumb to despair or shoulder any form of guilt. It has serve to remind me of my true destiny and encourage me to refocus and regain my footing. It has also reminded me that this life that I live is no longer mine.

It was the Apostle Paul who said:

“I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” (Gal. 2:20, NKJV)

Why am I discussing my thorn? Because in engaging my own fallibilities I have been brought face to face with the greatest challenge facing this nation – the failure to accurately define the biblical man. I do not believe it to be a coincidence that I have been introduced so intimately with my own failures as a man right in the midst of writing a book on biblical manhood. Far too often we tend to see the shortcomings in others without acknowledging our own. This leads to an arrogance complex that makes us think that we are better than those around us.

Another danger associated with the failure to see our own shortcomings is that without acknowledging that we have fallen short of God’s design for our lives, we will never see the need for improvement. One of the most devastating forces associated with the current state of biblical manhood is the belief that we have already arrived.

It is simple, the future of this nation depend on the state of Christian men and their subsequent impact on the culture around them. The first element that must be addressed in this elaborate dynamic is redefining the true biblical man. There are a number of terms being used to describe what people believe is a true man – terms such as godly man, biblical man, kingdom man, real man, and more. Regardless to the terminology used, one thing is evident, the definition of manhood in the scope of his design, must come from the designer himself. We can no longer allow a secular cultural to define a biblical concept. We must define manhood as God has laid it out in His infallible word. We must execute manhood with God in mind.

As we move forward, we will discuss the true nature of manhood as God intended it to be. We will draw the correlation between men failing in their divine design and the spiritual, emotional and social ramifications for such failure.   

It is important to understand this has nothing to do with creating a state of perfection, because perfection in this life can only be produced as an illusionistic concept. This is about men striving to live out their destiny by functioning in their design and manifesting their God-given vision. This is about abandoning our selfish motives and ambitions and adopting a God-first state of mind. It is about understanding our power of influence in the home and the negative impact of our absence in the home. It is about learning that leadership is not about telling someone what to do – instead – it is about showing others what to do and then creating a secure and conducive environment for them to follow through on what you have shown them through your own actions.

If you are like me, you are aware of your fallibility. This is a great place to start. God is not looking for the perfect man, but the man that is willing to commit his heart to Christ as well as surrender to God’s will for his life.

We are the change that this country needs. It begins with us – not by pointing the finger, but by changing ourselves and then facilitating and empowering the change in others. As men, the only thing we should be concerned with at this point is rising to meet the challenge of our destinies. Everything else will fall in line when we do. ~ Dr. Rick Wallace  

No comments:

Post a Comment